Thursday, March 3, 2011

TGIS...Thank God It's Spring (almost)

Spring is in the air and I'm so ready! Chicken coop is being built this weekend (look for pictures next week), blueberry plants were purchased last night (nine plants producing 8-12 pounds of berries each!), and our first real conversation about this year's garden was yesterday.

As my dad and I were finishing our berry order, my cousins Andrew and Laura called to get some advice about their garden. That's when I realized...between my dad's experience and knowledge and my enthusiasm, we have a lot of information to share about gardening. So, I decided to give my dad some special attention on the blog (kinda like Deb's quotes section). I will be periodically giving gardening advice from Big Tom. The first piece of advice comes from a question posed by Andrew and Laura:

When do you till your garden for the first time in the spring?

Big Tom's Advice: As soon as the ground is dry enough to get a tiller through it. Even if it's pretty early in the spring (or technically late winter) it will begin to break up the dirt. It may even snow after this put it will be a good start to preparing the garden for the spring planting. Plus, it will help the dirt dry out quicker the next time it rains.

Stay tuned for more advice :)

No comments:

Post a Comment