Monday, March 17, 2014

When I grow up I want to be a...

When I was growing up, I never knew how to complete that sentence. I was the kid who couldn't pick a college until the last minute, let alone chose a major. There were lots of things that sounded interesting but nothing that seemed to quite fit right. When I first accepted my job at Butler University as an advisor to students undecided about their majors, my family and friends gave me so much grief. The blind leading the blind.  I have always been an exploratory student myself.  But there is one thing I have always known, I wanted to be a mom.

Family has always been important to me. I am very fortunate to have a loving family.  There are a lot of us, which means I have always been surrounded by the love, guidance, and support of family. I knew I wanted to add to that madness and have some of my own kids someday. Whenever I looked to the future and pictured myself as a mom, I saw a house full of boys. As a tomboy, I never imagined I'd have a girl.

When we got pregnant, even though we didn't find out what we were having, I knew from the beginning that it was a girl.  To be honest, I was terrified. What was I going to do with a girl!?!?  I knew this had to be some kind of payback, karma, for being such a pain in the you know what to my mother.

Now that Willa is here, I know that everything I've done my whole life has lead me here, to being Willa's mom. I have no idea what I'm going to do if she ends up being a girly girl. Thank goodness Willa has aunts, godmothers, and cousins to help me! But I've always loved a good challenge. I love to learn and try new things. Willa is going to push me to be a new and better person. She isn't even talking yet and I can already see how profoundly she has changed me. Being a mom to a daughter has made me softer, yet stronger. More compassionate, yet defensive. More giving, yet more protective. I'm sure I would have grown similarly if Willa had been a boy, but for me, having a girl was perfect.



1 comment:

  1. Hello!

    I saw Your blog and I thought it had great recipes and awesome pictures! I therefore would like to invite You to our new culinary website which has just started.

    This is how it works in short. TastyQuery.com is a website for food bloggers and their fans allowing them to automatically collect recipes from Your food blog. It's a large database of links to recipes on food blogs. Everyone can join us for free.

    For more please visit:
    http://tastyquery.com

    TastyQuery.com is an English version of our main website called "Mikser Kulinarny", founded in Poland. "Mikser Kulinarny" has a large audience (over 2 mln unique visitors monthly) and with TastyQuery.com we want to repeat that success and drive thousands of new visitors to your food blog.

    In case of any questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

    Best regards!

    ReplyDelete