Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Summer Harvest Family Picnic

Every summer we have a big family picnic on the first Saturday of August. We get together at two of my uncles' houses (they live right next door to each other) for a baseball game, grilled corn, lots of food, and homemade beer.

The baseball game used to be a leisurely event that was fun for both the young and old. Well our young aren't so young anymore and as a result, the baseball game is a little more competitive. This year I was on the winning team...yea! I have to admit I hit pretty well, but I really just hid in the shade of right field when our team was in the field. Each year my brother and some cousins dress up the outfield hill. This year they went with a big "M."



After the game, we head to my other uncle's house courtesy of a hayride. The tracker used to pull us was actually my great-grandfathers old John Deer (I'll try to get a picture). Then it's food time!

My Aunt Mary and I decided to make some festive cupcakes. First we had a floral bouquet:






We also made corn on the cob cupcakes:




Overall it was a great evening!

Deb's quote of the week:
My mom has decided that crossword puzzles are her new thing. She's getting really good at them. However, she'll occasionally ask for help from the family. It then turns into a family activity and she gets mad because we've taken over her puzzle :) Here are two mistakes we found recently when trying to help her:

Clue-- Barbecue
Puzzle-- _ _ _ l l
Mom's answer-- SMELL...um, how about GRILL

Clue--Bull;SP
Puzzle-- _ _ _ _
Mom's answer-- SHIT...um, SP means Spanish so it's TORO

She's so great! Only mom would think they'd put SHIT in a crossword puzzle!

2 comments:

  1. Dude, those cupcakes are awesome :) So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maves! They would have been even cuter if you were here to add your creative touches! Can't wait to hear about your 3-day!

    ReplyDelete