Monday, July 19, 2010

Busy, Busy, Busy

I truly felt like a farmer this weekend, and I'm pretty sure I deserve a day off after this weekend (my dad does too!). We worked, weeded, harvested, planted, canned, and froze....all in about 48 hours!

I had the day off on Friday so I cleaned the house, did some laundry, did some yard work, and prepped for a cookout I had at my house that night.

Not giving myself any break, I got up early on Saturday morning and picked more blueberries. Yep, I still want more! This is either the fourth or fifth weekend I've gone to pick and I couldn't be happier! After blueberry heaven, me, dad, aunt Mary, mom, and my sister-in-law did some serious garden work. We picked all the early green beans and the first round of "late" green beans. We weeded the entire garden and picked squash, tomatoes, one banana pepper (our peppers are struggling this year!), and anything else we could fine. Then dad and I got seeds for our fall garden. We planted red lettuce, romaine lettuce, and cabbage in trays. We will transplant them into our raised garden later. We also planted onions, leeks, and multi-colored carrots in the raised garden. Finally, we took a much needed break and went swimming at our family's pond!

Sunday morning we were up and at it again, EARLY! We planted more of the fall garden. We did some fall crops last year but this year we're trying a lot of stuff! We tilled up the old potato and bean plants to make room (don't worry, we harvested it all first!). We planted sugar snap peas, more green beans :(, lima beans, corn, yellow squash, zucchini, acorn squash, and butternut squash. We're also hoping to try red potatoes but we need to find eyes to plant. Oh, and somewhere during all this my dad and I picked a bucket of black berries from the neighbor's bushes. Finally, we canned the green beans we picked the day before. We did 13 cans!

Not bad for a weekend's work! Unfortunately I was too busy working to take pictures. Just imagine tired, sweaty, dirty people running around like crazy...that's what the pictures would look like :)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds familiar! We canned tomatoes and froze corn over the weekend. Hot work but it will be worth it in a few months!

    ReplyDelete