Thursday, June 3, 2010

All in a weekend's work

As I mentioned, Race Weekend is a busy time in the garden. Over the weekend we also planted our "late" green beans. Over the past few years I have been harassing my dad about spreading out our harvest so that we have more fresh veggies throughout the year. We've been planting early and late green beans for the last few years. The early beans went in about a month ago and here's what they look like now:



Now it's time to plant the late beans. We usually plant two rows, each row is about three plants thick.



My mom only helped for about 5 minutes but somehow she ended up in a picture :) I think she wanted it as proof so we can't say she never helps!


Last year we had an amazing crop of green beans! Our early plants were still producing well into the time that our late beans started producing. We had green beans coming out our ears!!! We canned plenty to go around for the winter. I actually have about 3 cans left. We're pretty good about not wasting anything, so whatever isn't eaten immediately gets canned or frozen. I had to get a new freezer this year to hold all the goodies we put away from last years garden. A great problem to have!

This weekend we also replanted our corn. For some reason it was not coming up well. I think the ground was too wet when we planted but my dad thinks we had bad seeds. Whatever the reason, we got a new crop planted after a minor problem with the tiller...


Hopefully this time will work out! And hopefully Dad fixed the tiller :)

No comments:

Post a Comment