Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Race Weekend

For most people around the country this past weekend was Memorial Week, however, in my little town it is better known as RACE WEEKEND!!! The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is a few short blocks from my house and Sunday was the annual running of the Indianapolis 500. People from around the country descend on our town for racing, drinking, sun, and fun. And while I enjoy a good "Night Before the Race" Party, for me Race Weekend means quality time in the garden.

Here is a picture of our garden at my parent's house.



Like I said, it's a nice sized garden for living in the city.

So far this spring we've had a nice crop of radishes, spinach, and red lettuce. The other types of lettuce are just about ready. Let's just say I've had enough salads lately to feed a whole family of rabbits....yum!

Here's some pictures of our radishes and lettuces:

Spinach and some Sugar Snap Peas growing up the fence


Broccoli and lettuce (in the back)


Freshly picked radishes


We decided to add a raised bed this year to grow our radishes, onions, beets, and carrots. We started to run out of room in the regular garden and thought this would be a good experiment. So far the raised bed seems to be working well. As you can see from the pictures, our radishes are wonderful. The soil in the raised bed is so rich and loose that the root vegetables have plenty of room and nutrients to grow. Hopefully the others do as well...I'll keep you posted.



I'll write more this week to tell you about the green beans, corn, and tiller trouble from the weekend. Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment