Monday, June 14, 2010

Straaaawberries!!!!!!!!



I love strawberry season and hate that it lasts such a short time! Strawberries are a late spring fruit and depending on the weather the season can be very short! It's about the end of strawberry season for those of us in Indianapolis. Plus, we had a LOT of rain lately and it seems like the few strawberries that are left are rotting on the vine :(

We don't grow our own strawberries. If I remember correctly, we tried a few times when I was much younger and had little success. I rely on the local farmer's market to provide me with these delicious treats.

I know not everyone has the time, energy, land, or growing ability to have their own garden. Just because you don't garden doesn't mean you can't enjoy fresh, local, in season produce. No matter where you live, I'm sure you can find a farmer's market close by. There are tons of them in the Indianapolis area on a variety of days, times, and all around town. I personally like the Broad Ripple farmer's market the best. It's held on Saturdays from 8-12. I think there is best selection at this one. Even though it's about 30 minutes from my house, it's totally work the drive!

This week my mission was to find strawberries, buy them in bulk and freeze them for the winter months. Unfortunately, I had to go to a different farmer's market this week (stupid rain storm on Saturday morning!) and my strawberry selection was minimal. However, I was able to buy and freeze some. Here's what I do:

Buy yummy strawberries, bring them home to rinse and cut the stems off.


Then I place them on a pan and freeze them for about 30 minutes. This allows each strawberry to freeze separately so they don't all stick together in the bag.


After they've frozen, I place them in a freezer bag and save them for the winter when I'm craving fresh fruit.


Usually around February I'm dying for good fresh fruit. This is when I pull out the frozen strawberries and use them in a healthy, organic smoothie. I combine the frozen strawberries, organic yogurt (any flavor, although I like strawberry, peach, or vanilla), and organic milk. Blend and enjoy! It's so simple and delicious! Sometimes I'll add a little honey to make it sweet or even some cinnamon for added flavor.

If you thaw the strawberries they will be mushy, not so tasty! So I also use them in baking. Strawberry bread and muffins are great treats!

1 comment:

  1. So glad the cookies came out good! Your site is so inspiring. I have the opposite of a green thumb whatever that would be...brown maybe? So when I see that people CAN actually grow their own food it always amazes me.
    The strawberries are gorgeous, the kiddos and I are going on Friday to clear out the strawberry patches near my house! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete